The Hermiston melons are here! The Hermiston melons are here!
Sublimely, sweet and juicy, I admit to a soft spot for cantaloup and watermelon from Hermiston, Oregon.
And that’s a pretty big compliment for an ex-Texan, who was pretty spoiled by that state’s ability to produce watermelon to salivate for.
Besides being wonderful to enjoy sliced and chilled, melon can be used in drinks and in recipes that celebrate summer flavors.
But you wouldn’t normally think of combining watermelons and another summertime favorite: heirloom tomatoes. But they actually go well together. The sweetness from the watermelon brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes and the tomatoes also provide a contrasting tart note.
Watermelon and Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 1 red heirloom tomato, diced
- 1 yellow heirloom tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Champagne or white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in bowl, and toss until tomatoes and watermelon are thoroughly coated with dressing and serve.